Another new year means another new food deemed worthy for a place under the coveted list of healing superfoods. You’ve likely had a long history with this trending superfood. As a child, you’ve seen it smothered with peanut butter with carefully placed raisins to resemble “ants on a log,” it’s been a supporting act on veggie platters as the best tool for dipping into guilty pleasure ranch and blue-cheese dressings, but have you ever thought of the humble celery as a superfood?
Celery juice has recently gotten ALL of the hype, especially with the restart and detox atmosphere of the new year along with a strong celeb backing (you know it's legit when there's a Pinterest board filled with celebrities and their juices) with the likes of Miranda Kerr, Pharrell, and Hannah Bronfman — Bronfman testifies, “when I first started with celery juice I saw lots of impurities come to the surface of my skin, meaning a lot of the toxins were being purged from the inside out.” The benefits of celery juice has even got a dedicated Instagram account with the handle, @celeryjuicebenefits garnering an impressive 95.4K following.
Shop This Story
- Wooden Spoon Herbs ($34) take on a traditional fire cider! Supports the immune system, digestion, and may reduce inflammation in the body. Take as a shot, drizzle over greens, salads, in sparkling water or still. It's sweet and spicy with a kick.
- Looking for mushroom benefits without the mushroom taste? Moodbeli’s Mushroom Adaptogen ($38) tastes like rich cocoa when mixed with plant milk all while nourishing your immune system and relieving stress.
- You know when people say “Relaaax!” and you go from zero to sixty on the irritability scale? Mhm, we’ve been there. Ziza’s Relax Tincture ($32) with herbal heavy hitters will settle you down, real quick. Get ready to release the pressure, daily stressors, and kick your feet up.
- Immune boosting, rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, Keto... the list goes on with Supershroom Immunity Support blend ($28). A mix of four immune- boosting mushrooms and herbs paired with lucuma and ginger for easy drinking - mix in your water, smoothie, tea, or coffee!
The movement all started with the Medical Medium aka Anthony William — whose NY Times Best Selling book is definitely worth a read. Celery Juice’s list of benefits seems as endless as your list of unqualified potential partners and left swipes. Below are only a couple of its benefits according to the originator of the celery juice movement:
- Calming inflammation
- Starving pathogens
- Breaking down and flushing out viruses
- Balancing your body’s PH
- Restoring the entire digestive system
But just as any other item put under the superfood spotlight, it’s gonna get a couple haters or shall we say, skeptics. Coveteur has put celery juice first on their list of “Wellness Trends to Leave Behind in 2018.” The article claims that there are little evidence to prove the benefits of celery juice and that “you’re probably better off snacking on a stalk and getting the benefits of the fiber than drinking the juice.”
So is it really worth it to go through all the trouble of juicing an entire stalk of celery everyday? And will you really get the benefits without the fibers? According to William, “eating celery stalks, while very healthy and important, is not the same as drinking pure celery juice. When celery is juiced, the pulp (fiber) is removed, and its healing benefits become much more powerful and bioavailable, especially for someone with chronic illness.”
Now whether these claims about pulp are fiction or not, there’s nothing better than determining the benefits IRL. If you’re truly curious as to how celery juicing will affect your body, make sure that you drink the juice without the combination of any other fruits or vegetables. So if you want to sip celery out of a straw or munch the days away. Either way, we’ll definitely be incorporating celery into our diets more often this new year in hopes of riding that same fountain of youth as Pharrell.
If you’ve read this far, I assume you’re a celery connoisseur, now’s the time to broaden your culinary horizon...
BUBBLE has the largest selection of healthy, better-for-you, independent labels in the US, culminating in a one-stop-shop digital grocery experience for customers nationwide. All products go through the BUBBLE Approval process which requires a clean label (products cannot have refined or artificial sweeteners, preservatives, fillers, gums, etc.), responsible sourcing, and most importantly passing their in-house taste test.
We work with top nutritionists, chefs, Eastern and Western practicing doctors to vet each and every product before granting a stamp. BUBBLE shoppers have exclusive access to 400+ brands from independent makers, with vetted clean label products, across the USA. To learn more about BUBBLE, visit BUBBLEgoods.com.