We’re asking the sugary drinks to step aside and let kombucha lead the way. Kombucha’s popularity is one that’s rising all too quick– and for good reason. Kombucha is a sweetened, fermented tea that is packed with rich probiotics and antioxidants, making it a much better substitute for your regular Coke or Pepsi. You’ve probably seen all the flavors in your local grocery store, but this time we want you to get a little more creative by making our homemade booch. So grab your kombucha loving friends and get brewing!
WHIP IT UP:
- One week before beginning your ready to brew, order your scoby through Craft A Brew's website, and wait for your free scoby to arrive!
- One you've received the scoby it's time to brew the tea! Steep the organic black tea included in the kit for fifteen minutes and add sugar once you’re done steeping. (Don’t worry, the sugar is for fermentation).
- Once that’s done, combine the sweetened tea, water, and SCOBY into the jar.
- After the scoby is added to the jar, it’s time for fermentation! Let the mixture ferment for 7-14 days. The longer it ferments, the more tart your kombucha will be.
- It’s time for bottling! Add a mixture of ginger and lime to your booch, and top with a sprig of mint before serving! A little creativity here doesn’t hurt.
Contributor: Rabia Khan and the Craft a Brew Team