The holiday season has started and for most people the festive mood is building. The end of the year can often be frantic as we start to burn the candle at both ends- tying up loose ends at work while also enjoying a mulled wine or two with friends! So, how do we stay healthy, focused and full of energy at this time of year? Here are 5 tips on how to be the life and soul of the party while also acing your work commitments.
1. Hydration: Just because it's getting cold doesn’t mean you're aren’t getting dehydrated. Central heating combined with increased alcohol consumption can dehydrate our system quickly. Did you know that our memory, mood and cognition are negatively effected when we are dehydrated? Also remember that hydration is much more than just water. You need the right electrolytes and nutrients so that we can properly absorb the water into our cells. To make sure you are getting the right hydrating fluids we recommend taking a daily shot of Torii Restore with at least 2 liters of water each day to make sure your body and mind are optimized over the festive period. This powerful liquid shot has a B-vitamin complex, ashwagandha and MCT oil to give your cells a boost in energy. It is also packed with electrolytes and prickly pair to help with water absorption and inflammation. Everything is organic and wildcrafted so you can be sure to get the best quality ingredients.
2. Exercise: Having a daily exercise regime like running, swimming or yoga can be an incredible way to help maintain your vitality. Daily cardiovascular exercise for 20 minutes or more can help improve mood, energy and sleep. It also reduces stress by releasing certain endorphins as well as increasing blood flow which can flush out toxic stress hormones. To properly recover after an intense workout don’t forget to take the Torii Restore to help replenish your bodily systems when depleted.
3. Start the day well: Here is a superfood smoothie recipe that will give you all the goodness you need to kick start the day. Its full of phytonutrients and antioxidants as well as good fats to help your body absorb essential vitamins and minerals.
- ½ avocado (great natural source of unsaturated fatty acids)
- ½ banana (good source of potassium)
- ½ cup oat milk (creamy vegan nut free milk alternative)
- 1 Torii Restore (Ashwagandha, prickly pear, MCT oil, Tulsi, electrolytes, B3, 6 and 12 and fig leaf extract)
- 1 cup hot or cold water depending on your preference
- 1 TSP of Collagen powder (good source of protein and great fro your joints)
- ¼ cup blueberries (great antioxidants)
4. De-stress: It’s a busy time of year and stress levels can run high. This can deplete our immune system and result in fatigue and illness. Hangovers also reduce our stress threshold which is why we can feel anxious after a big night out. Taking adaptogenic herbs like rhodiola, eleuthero, ginseng and ashwagandha can help manage stress more effectively while increasing focus and stamina. The Torii Awake is a wonderful way to take a powerful combination of adaptogens in a delicious ginger citrus liquid form.
5. Sleep: If you want to be on form then you should try and get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. If you are drinking alcohol then it is extremely important that you rest properly, as our brain flushes out toxins when you sleep. Sleep also regulates our endocrine system especially our stress hormones which can have a detrimental effect on our long term health if they stay in our system for a prolong period. To make sure you fall asleep fast and stay asleep without feeling drowsy the next day, I would recommend our all-natural sleep aid, the Torii Unwind. This powerful herbal elixir has over 8000mg of tart cherry juice, which is a great source of melatonin. Melatonin is one of the primary sleep hormones that help us fall asleep and is essential to starting your restful period. This tonic also has a healthy dose of griffonia seed extract, an excellent source of 5HTP which is synthesized into serotonin (our happy neurotransmitter), elevating our mood before sleep. The Torii Unwind also has skull cap, lemon balm and hops to help keep you asleep for those 8 precious hours!
Do these 5 things and the festive period will be a breeze. You will have all the energy, focus and stamina to rock the holiday season.
Contributor: Giles Hayward, Founder of Torii Labs